HOW TO BREW YOUR OWN GINGER BEER
See my previous list about home brewing root beer: HOW TO BREW YOUR OWN ROOT BEER: A GUIDE
- •Most store bought ginger beer have really weak ginger flavors. I LOVE ginger, and wanted to make ginger beer just the way I like.
- •Here's a guide on how to make your own ginger beer at home!
- •Ingredients:Ginger, lemon, juniper berries, spices
- •Sanitize all equipment!
- •Boil 2 quarts of water in a pot. Add:
- •1 fresh ginger root, choppedPlus 2 tbsps of dried ground ginger
- •Juice of 1 lemon, plus the zest from the rind
- •A few tsp of ground cardamom, sassafras, sarsaparilla
- •Optional: 1 tbsp juniper berries, ground upAdds a fresh, grassy flavor
- •Allow it to simmer covered for 1 hour
- •Strain into another pot
- •Add 1 quart of lukewarm water
- •Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup honey
- •Wait for the liquid to cool to 80 degreesSo the yeast doesn't die
- •Add a little less than 1/8 tsp ale yeastWait for 15 minutes to proof
- •Bottle it, leaving 2-3 inches at the topAdd some grated ginger to the bottle for optimal flavor.
- •Let it ferment for 2 days, then put it in the fridge for 4 daysLook at it get all fizzy!
- •Enjoy!This has a really nice, spicy ginger taste that lingers on the tongue. Try adding different spices or more/less lemon to your liking!