5 FOOD POWER COUPLES THAT ARE STRONGER THAN BEYONCE AND JAY-Z
Turns out you can squeeze more nutrition out of some foods by pairing them together. Science. (via NPR’s food blog, The Salt) http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/24/413122931/dynamic-duos-how-to-get-more-nutrition-by-pairing-foods
- •Eggs and saladEating eggs with your salad helps boost absorption of carotenoids — the pigments in tomatoes and carrots.
- •Beans and peppersYou'll get more plant-based iron from black beans if you eat them with something rich in vitamin C, like red pepper.
- •Whole wheat bread and hummusWhy is this combo a vegetarian staple? Because hummus made with sesame seeds (in tahini) slathered on whole wheat bread gives you all the amino acids to form a complete protein.
- •Turmeric and black pepperTurmeric is loaded with an anti-inflammatory and anticancer compound called curcumin. To reap all the curcumin you can get, mix turmeric with black pepper.
- •Yogurt and ☀️If you want to take advantage of all that calcium in yogurt, you're going to need some vitamin D. So why not step outside to enjoy the creamy snack under the UV rays of the midday sun?