Recent New York Moments
Forgive the corny bits.
- •Girl, roughly seven, wearing a sequined dress under a raincoat, jumping over cracks and holding Dad's hand as he holds forth on something she doesn't care about but still listens to.
- •Man, in suit, impassively gripping subway column, making a point that the rush hour cannot hold meaning for him.
- •Dog, newly shorn, chained to a fence while owner eats eggs at an outdoor table.
- •Driver, resigned, sitting in a town car, futzing with Sirius, waiting for someone.
- •Boy, newly graduated, delaying feelings of loss by partying two years ahead of himself.
- •Woman, beyond her limits, waiting in line to buy unhealthy food for someone who is entirely capable of getting it for himself.
- •Woman, improbably loud, holding forth about her family in the middle of tense little league game.