Simple Empathic Habits
- •Remember the day of the week.If it's Saturday but your friend is working a weekend shift, don't tell them how beautiful it is outside.
- •Remember what your friends are doing.If their job is especially hard or they're facing a hard task, just check in.
- •Don't take up unnecessary space.If you're feeling poorly but not really terrible, don't lay it on your friends. Stay home and watch "Blade Runner."
- •Pitch in.There are about 1000 ways to volunteer. Most of them take about an hour a week. Many involve simply listening.
- •Walk.Hard in some cities so adapt to your needs.
- •Don't yell in public.It's like smoking but worse.