The Dreams That Won't Go Away
- •THE ONE WITH THE CAMERAThe camera will not focus. It will not. It is frustrating and hypnotizing. Usually, this turns into a waterfall dream, where I fall, terrified, for a few seconds.
- •THE ONE WITH THE HOUSEI am crawling through a house, trying to find my children. I see them below me, as they descend, but I never reach them. The house often turns into a complex train station with many levels, like a parking garage.
- •THE ONE AT WHOLE FOODS/LASSENSI swipe my card. The cashier asks if I want cash back. I say "Yes," and then the cashier says "Your account is overdrawn." I put the food back on the shelves, item by item. The shelves turn into heating elements, like the bars behind the grille of a space heater. The food ignites but doesn't exactly catch fire. It all burns to a crisp, and what's left over looks like a pile of vanilla beans.
- •THE ONE WITH A BOATI am grouped with four or five people I don't know. We are in a dinghy which keeps changing size. Sometimes the boat is as big as a yacht, sometimes as small as a kayak but with an enlarged opening for the standing passengers. Somebody opens a bottle of champagne. I say "I don't drink," and then I am suddenly at the passport office. I am wearing a bathing suit and a blazer.
- •THE ONE WITH THE BEARHe is standing twenty feet from my house. He yells at me in what sounds like Greek. He never stops screaming and he never sounds like a bear but what am I going to do, talk to him? Ask him in for a cup of coffee? It eventually ends.