Happy Birthday Mom!
Today is my mother's 53rd birthday! She is an incredible, inspiring woman and I just want to be like her when I grow up 😍🎉🎂
- •She's always known what she wantsShe was a social worker for a while and cofounded a non-profit organization right after college, over 25 years ago.
- •She wanted a girl childThis is in India, a country that heavily prefers a male child, still practices female foeticide, forced abortions of girls and physical abuse of women that bear a girl child. That's us in the picture and those glasses 👌🏽
- •She had an abortionAfter my birth, my mom and dad did not want another child. Apparently, they did not tell anyone in the family!
- •She worked after marriageShe upheld her views, did not lose her voice and demanded they move to get a better education for me.
- •She raised me to be an independent, humble and strong woman like her.She is my biggest supporter and loves me selflessly.
- •She taught me about culture sensitivityShe did not force her religion on me, made friends with whoever she wanted and therefore I got to meet so many of her amazing friends from very different backgrounds!
- •She loves to travel with meMother daughter camping trips were a big part of my life. It wasn't something my dad enjoyed but that didn't hold her back.
- •In her fifties now, she doesn't want to wear makeup or dye her hair.She's such a cool gal 😍