Sentences in Your Head at the Kids' Birthday Where There Is Nothing for Your Kid to Eat
- •Damn it. I should have baked a gluten-free cake. Again.
- •I wonder if America will ever switch to juicy watermelon and fruit salad as a treat for birthday parties? Not bloody likely.
- •These are some of our best friends. They still can't remember our kid has to be gluten-free.
- •Damn it, I hate cake and frosting and chocolate and sugar. I hate sugar.
- •I wish I hated those things.
- •Mostly, I hate when she feels left out. It's every 7th-grade remnant of me feeling awkward and ugly and frumpy and never cool enough.
- •This week, I'll make 3 batches of gluten-free cupcakes and put them in the freezer. I will never let her feel left out again.
- •Oh wait. She sang happy birthday to her friend and ran off to the beach to build a sand castle with the kid whose mom won't let him eat sugar. She's smiling.
- •Never mind.