👌 PODCAST EPISODES ABOUT SERIOUS MENTAL ILLNESS
I do clinical research with patients with schizophrenia. There's a lot out there about mental health, but schizophrenia, bipolar and SMI get less press. Here are my picks to learn more!
- •Not a podcast but first watch this: http://bit.ly/1DUrRFtAnderson Cooper did a segment using a schizophrenia simulator, to give people a sense of what it's like to preform tasks while hearing voices.
- •TED Radio Hour: "The Unquiet Mind"Featuring Elyn Saks, Law Professor at USC who had her first psychotic break while at Yale Law School.
- •The Moth: "No Matter What"A husband's account of his wife's psychosis.
- •Invisibilia: "The Secret History of Thoughts"
- •Death Sex and Money: "In Sickness and Mental Health"A woman diagnosed as Bipolar with psychotic features soon after her wedding
- •This American Life "The Job that Takes Over Your Life" (Act 1)A man takes a job interviewing patients with schizophrenia, and in turn learns about himself.
- •Radiolab: "Voices in Your Head"
- •Stuff You Should Know: "How Schizophrenia Works"Though not my favorite podcast, they do an excellent job of providing an intro to the symptoms and presentations of schizophrenia
- •This American Life Ep. 52 "Edge of Sanity." Act 2 still haunts me, 18 years after first hearing it.Suggested by @tambone