How to Hire a Contractor
Buyers and sellers will often have to hire a contractor to do work on a home. But who do you hire and where do you look? Here are some tips that can help you avoid problems down the line.
- •Get multiple bids from licensed contractors.
- •Get it in writing.
- •Specific contracts are golden, includes everything that has been agreed to, up to and including complete cleanup and removal of debris and materials, along with special requests like saving lumber for firewood or saving certain materials or appliances.
- •Get a copy when you signed the contract.
- •It's ok to update. Make sure to note changes in writing on a change order and include any price changes. After a change order is signed, it becomes part of the written contract.
- •Check the financial terms. Include total price, when payments will be made, and whether there is a cancellation penalty. Down payment should never exceed 10% of the contract price or $1,000., whichever is less.