Details About the Dish That Was Named After Me
Possibly my greatest achievement: New York's Cómodo and Colonia Verde both serve "the Sierra."
- •I moved to New York around the same time that Cómodo opened for business on my block. The perfect neighborhood restaurant! I didn't work in the food world yet, but I became close with the owners, husband-and-wife team Felipe and Tamy.
- •When Hurricane Sandy hit, Cómodo had to temporarily shut down (and I had to move out of my apartment). For a small, young business, going dark for even a few days is rough.
- •As soon as downtown New York regained power (that Saturday morning), I walked over to Cómodo to check in on everyone.
- •Felipe, the chef, offered to make me breakfast, but said that he didn't have many ingredients on hand, because so much had spoiled.
- •I asked if he could make my favorite dinner dish -- a warm, cheesy Brussels sprout salad -- and add a poached egg on top. He said yes!
- •He immediately coined it "the Sierra," and added it to the brunch menu.
- •Years later, the dish is still a hit! Tamy and Felipe opened a second restaurant in Fort Greene, Colonia Verde, and it's also on the brunch menu there.
- •Yelp is bullshit, BUT!