Where to Eat and Drink in Cartagena
I just returned from a wonderful trip to Colombia. @Nicholas arrives in Cartagena today! Sad that we didn't overlap, but at least I can share my favorite bars and restaurants.
- •DonjuánChef Juan Felipe Camacho worked at Arzak in San Sebastián -- one of the best restaurants in the world -- before returning home to open this restaurant. Order the octopus!
- •MariaCamacho also recently opened this restaurant next door, and named it after his wife. (Aw.) It's a bit more casual.
- •Cafe HavanaMake sure to go to this late-night Cuban spot for live music, mojitos, and dancing.
- •La PaletteriaPaletas (popsicles) are huge in Colombia. I loved, loved, loved the coconut one here.
- •DementeThis bar is in Getsemani -- a cool part of town without many hotels, but make sure to walk over. Sit in the beautiful backyard courtyard, and order some pizza if you get too drunk. It's good.
- •ParadisoA charming, retro spot for good homemade ice cream.
- •Pastelería MilaGo here for a traditional Colombian breakfast. Don't skip dessert!
- •El Boliche CebicheriaPerfect lunch spot for fresh fish.
- •The street!Definitely eat a street arepa, preferably after a night of dancing.