BART PET PEEVES, RANKED.
I live in Berkeley and work in SF; BART is the thing I love to hate. Be careful, though: if you bash it I'll cut you.
- 1.Being on BARTThe trains: they're gross, they're old and they don't come often enough. Also, have I mentioned they're gross?
- 2.Not being on BARTThe days when I think "oh it'll be ok I'll drive I today" turn out to be the days a tractor trailer jackknifes on the upper deck of the Bay Bridge and protestors block the central freeway while Larry Ellison shuts down the streets of San Francisco for his annual Oracle Planetary Domination Conference.
- 3.Bicyclists.We get it. You're better than us. And your trousers are clipped so that you don't get your cuff caught in your chain. Good for you! But JESUS let us normal pedestrian folk off the train first.
- 4.The way the cars sometimes jerk to a stop or a start.Because throwing up on the way to work in the morning is an excellent way to start the day.
- 5.Announcements from BART operations control.Never good news. Just once I'd like a message from BART operations control center letting us know that there are free Krispy Kreme donuts waiting for us at Embarcadero and to have a nice day.
- 6.People who keep their backpacks on even though the train is packed shoulder to shoulder.Cool laptop, bro. And water bottle. And bunched up rain slicker stuck in between your shoulder straps. And the fourteen bricks you must be carrying around. You just bruised my ribs with that pack. Thanks.
- 7.The people who get on at a much earlier stop, score a seat and work on their laptops the entire commute.Smug suburbanites, you're the worst.
- 8.People who say "well you should just move back to SF then."Yeah, yeah, whatever.