A COUPLE THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU TRY SYNTHETIC POT
Like cocaine, it’s a hell of a drug. http://slate.me/1RYamNB
- •There’s no actual THC involved.You’re smoking a concoction of unidentified chemicals sprayed onto dried plant matter.
- •The guy who invented it wishes he hadn’t.John W. Huffman, a Clemson University chemistry professor, says that synthetic pot users have “opened Pandora’s box.”
- •It’s cheap and easy to find.Hundreds of varieties (such as Spice, Bliss, and K2) are sold for as little as $50 an ounce.
- •The side effects aren’t great.Depending on what chemicals are used (and in what quantity), synthetic pot can cause unpleasant reactions. Some of the scarier ones are catatonia, profound anxiety and paranoia, and acute kidney failure.
- •The media is trying to scare you… but they also might have a point.The recent headlines might seem straight out of “Reefer Madness”, but the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration says synthetic pot sent nearly 30,000 people to the ER in 2011.
- •It’s technically legal, and the government can’t do much about it.Drugmakers in China are constantly developing new compounds, and so far they’ve managed to stay ahead of state and federal governments who are trying to ban them.
- •But it’s still probably not worth trying.Be a responsible adult and stick to real pot.