LIKE A SNOWBALL IN AN UNSEASONABLY COOL CORNER OF HELL, TED CRUZ STILL HAS A CHANCE
The Donald’s inevitable victory could be... evitable, if Cruz gets a few lucky breaks. http://slate.me/1LSeqNO
- •The race for the Republican primary is about to get even messier.
- •Donald Trump has already crushed Jeb Bush, and he holds mind-bogglingly huge leads over fellow GOP candidates John Kasich and Marco Rubio.However, Cruz trails Trump by a mere 100 delegates.
- •The upcoming Florida and Ohio primaries have a total of 165 delegates at stake.As long as Trump doesn’t win both, Cruz still has a chance.
- •His biggest goal before the convention — to prevent Trump from winning a majority of delegates.1,237, to be exact.
- •If all four GOP candidates stay in the race, Trump will still end up with a large plurality, making it difficult for party leaders to nominate an alternative candidate.
- •Cruz needs Rubio to withdraw after Trump beats him in Florida. And he needs Kasich to win Ohio (then drop out of the race).Then he needs to win a bunch of states in the West and Midwest, while avoiding disaster in the Trump-loving Northeast.
- •In essence, Cruz needs the support of every Republican who doesn’t like Trump — and the anti-Trump coalition must actually constitute a majority of Republicans.