LOUIS C.K.: VOTING FOR TRUMP IS “NATIONAL SUICIDE”
The philosopher-comedian says there’s nothing funny about Donald Trump. http://slate.me/1QAyzrQ
- •In a recent email to fans, Louis C.K. begged Trump supporters to reconsider their allegiance to the controversial presidential candidate.C.K.’s scathing rebuke ran for more than 1,400 words.
- •The comedian acknowledged that many Americans have legitimate frustrations.Still, he cautioned against the unforeseen consequences of letting contrarianism get out of hand, using pre-Nazi Germany as a historical example.
- •“Do you think they saw that shit coming? Hitler was just some hilarious and refreshing dude with a weird comb over who would say anything at all,” writes C.K.
- •C.K. says he’d actually prefer to see a Republican president after eight years of Obama.He believes the country is “about 40 percent conservative and 40 percent liberal”, and that government should “reflect the people”.
- •Yet he’s quick to stress that ideological balance is possible only when both sides behave with basic human decency.C.K. asks how conservatives could support Trump after he made subtle threats against war hero John McCain, and promised to sue people who criticize him.
- •He compares voting for Trump to “national [s]uicide” and taking “a big hit off of a crack pipe”.
- •But C.K. urges people not to mythologize Trump.
- •“[I]’m not saying he’s evil or a monster. In fact I don’t think Hitler was. The problem with saying that guys like that are monsters is that we don’t see them coming when they turn out to be human…”