OBAMA’S SUPREME COURT JUSTICE NOMINEE IS A SACRIFICIAL ELK
Or goat, or lamb, or whatever animal is commonly sacrificed in your state. http://slate.me/1M9c117
- •Merrick Garland, a 63-year-old appellate chief judge in D.C., was recently nominated to the Supreme Court by President Obama.There is no f****** way he will ever become a Supreme Court justice.
- •Garland is a human shield for the “real” nominee Democrats hope to appoint in 2017.The plan is to let the Republicans tire themselves out fighting Garland’s nomination, allowing a future Democratic president to choose a more dynamic candidate.
- •In theory, Garland should be a palatable choice for the GOP.Sen. Orrin Hatch even floated Garland’s name as a potential replacement for the late Antonin Scalia.
- •But, as “Obama’s nominee”, Garland is guaranteed to be rejected by Republicans.In fairness, some Democrats weren’t too excited about him, either.
- •The National Organization of Women even called Garland “a real nowhere man”.
- •For the next eight months, Garland will be taking punches from all sides.In the big picture, this is a good thing.
- •The “true” nominee will be spared from election year smears and ad hominem attacks.Sri Srinivasan, Paul Watford, and Jane Kelly are some of the frontrunners for the real nomination.
- •Whoever the next Supreme Court justice may be, s/he will owe Garland a “thank you”.