THE EUROPEAN ADVENTURES OF A RENOWNED AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHER
Before Instagram, there was Autochrome. http://slate.me/1pxjbTf
- •Jacques Henri Lartigue was born to a wealthy French family in 1894.For the next eight decades, he documented his enchanted life of travel, beauty, and wonder.
- •When he was 69, he was offered an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.While his black-and-white photos first caught the curator’s eye, Lartigue’s work in color is also spectacular.
- •More than 100 never-before-seen photographs can be found in “Lartigue: Life in Color”, collected by Martine d’Astier and Martine Ravache.
- •Lartigue began making color prints in 1912, using the newly invented Autochrome plates.It was difficult to capture movement, so he stopped in 1927.
- •In the 1950s, when technology improved, Lartigue began shooting in color again.
- •He captured whimsical afternoons with Pablo Picasso and other famous artists.
- •He also loved to use his wife as a model.
- •Lartigue believed color photography could speak to the soul.
- •“As long as it’s neither too harsh nor too sharp, color photography seems to me, because of a certain blurriness, to be best able to express charm and poetry. A poetry that can very well accommodate a sense of humor.”
- •Lartigue lived a charmed life, and he savored every moment of it.“It’s a matter of taste. I personally prefer to be happy and smiling than sad and fearful.”