Reactions I get when I tell people my name is Kawaii
No, really, it is. My parents saw it in an article titled "The Colour of Christ" in the doctor's office back in 1989 - much to everyone's amusement
- •Were you born in Hawaii?I was born in Trinidad.
- •Oh, but your parents must like really love Hawaii or something right?
- •Do you know it means "cute" in Japanese?What. Oh god. No way.
- •You're super into anime then?
- •It's Kah-why?No. Exactly how easy it is for you to pronounce Hawaii, should be how easy it is for you to say Kawaii.
- •Did you know there's also an island just off Hawaii named Kauai?I do now.
- •Okay. Nice to meet you kuh-why-ee.(complete over pronunciation)
- •Yup. Sure.