Songs for Birdwatchers
In the early days of Rock 'n Roll (and Doo Wop in particular), there were a host of groups named after different species of birds. Some of them recorded songs that still qualify as classics. Much later, a few other groups followed their lead.
- •Penguins - Earth AngelOne of the earliest megahits of the 50's
- •Orioles - Crying in the ChapelA beautiful rendition long before the Elvis version. Sometimes billed as Sonny Til and the Orioles, they also had a hit with It's Too Soon to Know, a remake of a song by the next group.
- •Ravens - Count Every Star
- •Flamingos- I Only Have Eyes for YouOne of the most successful of the bird groups, who also had hits like Lovers Never Say Goodbye, Golden Teardrops, and I'll Be Home.
- •Crows - Gee
- •Wrens - Come Back My Love
- •and later came...
- •The ByrdsMany hits including Mr. Tambourine Man, and Turn Turn Turn
- •The EaglesMany, many hits including Hotel California, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Life in the Fast Lane
- •The Birdwatchers - Girl I Got News For You
- •and we can't leave out: Rockin' Robin by Bobby DayWith many covers including one by Michael Jackson