WHY DOES THE MIDDLE EAST SEEM SO POLITICALLY UNSTABLE
I'm not an expert but over the last months I've read some papers and have always been paying attention to history, and here are some possible answers I came up with (ps I can't sleep so let's write a list!)
- 1.COLONIZATION AND EMPIRE BUILDING BY WESTERN COUNTRIESNamely Britain. When the British Empire collapsed/countries left it, they were left with a vastly different culture, no real governmental system or leadership, and were basically what I like to call "traumatized" from the whole experience. Did we really expect these countries to have their shit together by 2016 after all of that?
- 2.ETHNIC MINORITIESThere is no one group of Middle Easterners. There are Kurds, Shias, Alawis, Armenians, Turks...and all of them want to be represented properly. They seek equality, power, and often to have their own country. We see this happening in Syria right now. It's a historical thing: ethnic minorities have been the cause for many a wars.
- 3.STATUS QUOThis goes deeper than "well, it's always been that way" to "we are afraid and feel insecure about it being different." Country A has never gotten along with Country B and to change that would be a change in the entire way the state exists and operates. And who likes change?
- 4.THE LEAGUE OF NATIONSKind of connected to the last, but after WW1, the Europeans made lots of promises to Middle Eastern countries that they didn't even try to follow through on. This included both the Mandate of Palestine and support of zionists which was very confusing.
- 5.THE AMERICAN HEGEMONAfter the Cold War ended, the international community looked to America for leadership, and it accepted the job. The institutions that exist internationally are tied so complexly to the USA that even Donald Trump couldn't easily separate us from it. So when they fuck up, it's not isolated. In the Middle East, the US has done some good things, but also a lot of bad things. They went into countries with no real endgame and kind of, well, fucked up. Yeah.
- 6.PURE UNCERTAINTYNo one will make a [good] move because they are uncertain that the other will return with positive intentions. Countries would rather go to war than be suckered by one another, hence conflict over cooperation.
- 7.THE CRUSADESThis is some OLD history. It doesn't have much to do with the actual facts or events of the crusades, but rather the way the story was told years after up until today, and the dynamic that was created.
- 8.THE END OF THE COLD WAR ARMS RACEEssentially, during the Cold War countries were stocking up on nukes and other arms and when, all of a sudden, it's over, no one really knows what to do so they just keep stocking up on arms.
- 9.WEIRD FORCES OF THE UNIVERSE NOBODY REALLY GETSWe can write as many papers or do as much research, but we can't predict the future, and the present was once the future. There's no real way to know exactly why or how we got to the point we're at today or what it will be like tomorrow.
- 10.it's cool to think about it on such a macro level but also to remember that these political conflicts affect everyday people at the micro levelRemember that the media doesn't portray everyday life, so we can't fully understand how it does impact them. All we can do is always hope for the best for our fellow human beings. 👫👬👭👫🌏