A Random Collection of Internet Outages I Have Seen
This includes both backbone and customer circuits. All identifying information has been removed unless it is a matter of public record.
- •Underground cables (fiber and copper) cut by oblivious digging crew. Usually a backhoe.I could make a full just for all the times this has happened but that would be boring. Basically buried network infrastructure and digging equipment are natural enemies.
- •Customer's cat was covertly peeing on their modem.Definitely doesn't fall under warranty replacement.
- •Homeless encampment's large, out of control fire, beneath a bridge melted a suspended fiber cable.
- •(2-3 Months later) Same homeless encampment really likes big fires. Once again melted the previously repaired cable.Hasn't happened a third time, but I'm not holding my breath.
- •Customer shot the power cable to their router while hunting a rat with a pellet gun.I assume he needs to work on his accuracy.
- •A/C failed on small rural phone office turning it into a giant oven.
- •Unnamed Chico CA ISP allegedly raided for having a marijuana grow operation.If you know Chico, this is the least surprising thing ever.
- •Customer's Linksys/Netgear/Airport locked up and needs to be power cycled.Everyone with this issue is always certain the problem is with their internet connection and amazed when the reboot fixes things.
- •Fiber backbone to Santa Cruz purposely cut in 2 locations.Listen all of y'all it's a sabotage!
- •Fiber maintenance tech refused to perform repairs on a circuit in south San Francisco at night because the area was too dangerous.I don't think I can even blame him.
- •Customer decided tidying up their home office cable management meant it didn't matter what got plugged where.