ALBUMS OF THE MOMENT
Not necessarily new ones
- •Into It. Over It. - StandardsStill formulating an opinion on this one, but after my first few listens I know it's just as good as his last two, both of which I've heard many hundreds of times. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes my go-to car album for the next few months.
- •As Tall As Lions - Self TitledI know I'm super late getting into these guys (they've already broken up), but damn. My friend calls them a "pop band with an amazing drummer" and I have to agree.
- •JANK - Awkward Pop SongsOne of the best Philly locals of the past year. They take all of the best from bands like There/Their/They're, Modern Baseball and even Algernon Cadwallader but they make it fun. Plus they even kick ass live, which you might not expect.
- •Pinegrove - CardinalSimple rock songs with dumb pop-punk lyrics sung by a guy with a vaguely southern twang. Plus they have a banjo? It totally works though.
- •The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is ThereThis was on my most-played list last year. It's an emo record through and though, but in many places they manage to rise above the expected teenagery earnestness. The end result is a record that effectively captures the state of the genre in the midst of this "revival." Getting back into it right now because my band is opening for them next month (!)
- •Local Natives - HummingbirdHeard this for the first time a few weeks ago and it is both better than I expected and quickly becoming one of my favorites.
- •August Burns Red - ConstellationsYeah don't judge me. This is on here bc I was having a shit day yesterday and put this on at the gym. After lifting some things and about the 172nd breakdown on the record I felt a little better.