Cheap and Petty
One of my older sisters is celebrating her 40th wedding 👰 anniversary on Saturday. She's the only one of all nine of us siblings who stuck it out. I don't want to get them a present. Here's why.
- •They never got me anything when I graduated from university twice (BA & Masters).No celebration 🎉. No party. No presents 🎁.
- •I didn't get a house warming gift when I bought my house two years ago.🏡 They hardly ever come to visit and only seem to contact me if they need something. Of course, I hardly ever go visit them either.
- •I bought them a shower gift and a wedding gift 40 years ago.I also just bought their daughter/my niece a shower and wedding gift.
- •I bought them baby gifts and sent their children and grand-children cards & presents.I have no children so they never had to do the same.
- •It just seems like I give more than I get.
- •But a gift is expected. My mother will think less of me if I don't give them something.So, do I follow my mother's conscience or mine?
- •And what is the traditional gift for 40 years of married life?Ruby is the traditional gift. Yeah, I don't think so. 😬 I'd could buy them wine but I have no idea what they like.
- •So do I give them a present?All they want is money 💰. I know that without asking. So, I'm thinking $40; a dollar per year of married bliss.
- •What do you think?