SONGS I'D LIKE TO HEAR AT MY FUNERAL
It's going to be so unbearably beautiful and sad. I'm gonna wish I was there.
- •The Kiss by Judee SillI'm not gonna go easy on anyone. I'm not gonna hold back.
- •Surf's Up by The Beach BoysPerformed solo, ala Brian Wilson's original demo, by one of my numerous immensely talented, dear friends. Perhaps hold an audition first, see who nails it the strongest.
- •In The Still Of The Night by Cole PorterIdeally, performed by Kevin Kline & Ashley Judd, as heard and seen in the major motion picture De-lovely. I'm deadly serious.
- •A Joni songBut I'm gonna need to live some more to know which one.
- •Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The PlattersPlayed from my own echo/reverbed-out treatment of the original recording. Remind me to leak it in due time.
- •I Want To Vanish + The Birds Will Still Be Singing by Elvis Costello, as performed by Amanda Bergman & The Brodsky QuartetIf they're available and free and I can afford them. Although I'm hoping I don't go before the members of the Brodsky Quartet, as they're probably 30 years older than me.
- •Aguas de Março by Tom Jobim, performed by Elis Regina and Gal Costa and Milton Nascimento and Lo Borges and Caetano Veloso and Chico Buarque and Gilberto Gil, We Are The World-style.
- •I Know by Fiona Apple"While you try to find the lines to speak your mind / And pry it open, hoping for an encore / And if it gets too late, for me to wait / For you to find you love me, and tell me so / It's ok, don't need to say it"
- •Dying Day by Orange JuiceI cried as I watched Edwyn Collins heroically perform this at SXSW in Austin, Texas in 2011. Now it's your turn.
- •Up North by Catherine HoweCause life will go on.
- •Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet by Gavin BryarsThe entire original 26 minute version - not the newer one with Tom Waits wailing unnecessarily on top of the music. Everyone needs to sit through the entire piece, until...
- •A Dream Goes On Forever by Todd Rundgren"How much I loved you you'll never know / till you join me within my dreams"
- •Think by Curtis MayfieldAs the credits roll and the room clears out.
- •There'll be an after-party with only danceable stuff, a potpourri of ambient techno and beautiful happy hits afterwards. I'll have the playlist ready in time.There'll be prosecco, In 'n Out burgers and Norwegian milk chocolate. It'll be beautiful and everything will be ok.
- •But I intend to stick around for a long time, so don't get too excited.