How to write a story: by HP Lovecraft
As noted by me after listening to 30+ hours of Lovecraft audio books.
- •Character: professor and/or antiquarian
- •Character has spooky past that he discovers in his antiquarian studies.
- •Character moves to historical city/house/homestead of spooky past family
- •Spooky stuff happens that only he can see/hear, at least 5 people die, sanity of main character is questioned
- •Quote or mention of necronomicon or Cthulhu
- •Describe something as "so horrible no words of man could describe it"
- •Talk about the horrid stench given off by character or bodies or spooky things
- •Character dies
- •Spooky house/homestead is destroyed by the townspeople who knew it was bad all along
- •Townspeople talk about aforementioned horrid stench
- •The end.