My Twenty-Sixteen Favorites
Inspired by @brimattia - This list is v blue/green somehow idk but I dig it.
- •Film: The LobsterI walked out of the theatre and said "that was probably the best movie I've ever seen." I'm obsessed. However, La La Land really broke me and I'm still waiting to see Jackie, 20th Century Women, Nocturnal Animals, etc etc etc
- •Book: The Neapolitan Novels - Elena FerranteI understand I was behind on this but it changed me. Ferrante is one of those writers who writes her soul, however ugly or beautiful. Female gaze and friendship and anger and sex and intellect and everything. She writes what it is to be a woman and I'm obsessed.
- •Album: The Color in Anything - James BlakeMy heart, my body, my being was shook by this.
- •Soundtrack: La La LandFor "Audiotion (Fools Who Dream)" alone. So stunning and hit way too close to home and now I'm crying.
- •Song: It Almost Makes Me Wish for Rain - LuciusThrowback '80s-ish girl pop. If this doesn't have you dancing in your underwear with a bottle of wine/tequila idk what will.
- •Music Video: all of LemonadeIs this cheating? Sorry I don't care.
- •Television Show: The AffairGive me moral ambiguity and the female gaze or give me death. Binged the first 2 seasons during my wisdom tooth recovery in January and am watching season 3 now - so full circle 2016 obsession.
- •Streaming Series: TransparentI love unsympathetic characters and Kathryn Hahn (which is why I Love Dick will be my answer to this question as soon as it airs)
- •Podcast: Off Camera with Sam JonesI've recently begun constantly listening to actor interviews as atmosphere and inspiration and this is probably my favourite. Great guest line up, intelligent and fun questions.
- •App: VSCO camIdk I don't really use apps other than social networks...
- •Person(s): Rebecca TraisterFor her endlessly stellar coverage of Hillary/the election. I think I almost exclusively shared her work. Brilliant woman.
- •Because I still feel most of this but have also found a person I can talk and share and feel these feelings with and it's really comforting.
- •Li.st that someone else wrote: I Wrote Something About Jian Ghomeshi on Twitter & All I Got Were These Stupid TrollsBc I'm endlessly thankful for @zoe's words and brain and existence