Most Sunday evenings I make soup and catch up on TV (usually SNL). Here's what I'm making this year!
- •January 22nd: Persian New Year's (no) Noodle Soup (Food52): https://food52.com/recipes/32708-persian-new-year-s-noodle-soupMy mom made this with the pasta and without the lentils while I was home and it was good, but for a hearty week long meal I opted to add the lentils back in and ditch the linguini. This is delicious and simple and feels really clean but hearty, plus the broth is perfectly spiced.
- •January 29th: Wilted Greens and (No) Potato Soup (In My Bowl) : http://inmybowl.com/2014/09/wilted-greens-potato-soup-vegan/Very loose adaptation of this recipe from In My Bowl to use up the fresh dill I had from last week. Not a big potato or green bean fan, so I didn't use those and added green lentils and peas instead. The abundance of greenery is refreshing and I adore broccoli rabe so this works for me. UPDATE: didn't do as well later in the week and is a little bland. Still tasty though.
- •February 5th: Hummingbird High's Lemony Yellow Lentil Soup (from Food52): https://food52.com/blog/18859-what-6-food-writers-did-with-the-same-fill-in-the-blank-soup-recipeI used Red lentils bc I couldn't find yellow, and am way too lazy to fry shallots every night and no creme fraiche bc trying to limit dairy BUT this is really delicious and so easy. (Update: just finished my first giant bowl and wow wow wow this is yummy) (UPDATE part 2: definitely gets denser/mushier throughout the week, got bored of it by Friday)
- •February 12th: Tomato Farro Minestrone (In My Bowl): http://inmybowl.com/2014/12/tomato-farro-vegan-minestrone-soup/WOW I thought I had a go to minestrone before but wow this is so tasty. The farro is a really lovely twist. Hearty. (This got pretty boring as the week went on and actually turned me off soup for awhile but the first couple nights were SO good)
- •February 12th-March 12th: sad/love filled hiatus plus vegan fried rice (Minimalist Baker) http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-fried-rice/Needed a break from soup which led to me getting off track and eating dumplings from Whole Foods every night. Started baking instead of cooking. BUT: I know it's not soup but this fried rice is DELICIOUS. Seriously. Add some avocado and sriracha and wow.
- •March 12th: Beans and Greens Soup (Food52) https://food52.com/recipes/66632-beans-and-greens-soupI used Red chard and cannellini beans. It's a little vinegary (might be that my wine vinegar isn't super fancy) but nice. I've been eating like crap recently (see: lack of updates, previous item, being in love makes me make baked goods and crave sugar?) so I wanted something clear and green and nutritious and this fit the bill.
- •March 26th: The Instant Cozy Lentils and Greens Soup (The First Mess) http://thefirstmess.com/2017/03/04/instant-cozy-lentil-greens-soupWas in New York all last week, so coming home to a routine was very nice. This is simple but has all the things I like in a soup: lentils, a hardy green, tomatoes, garlic, onion. I made my own quick marinara and used Red peppers for the extra veg. It's holding up really well during the week. This is a quiet, understated star.