Dear @john Mayer,
I have a few questions for you that you may or may not have the answers to, but here goes @john .
- •How has my Dad learned just about every Grateful Dead song?My dad has Alzheimer's Disease--which is by no means funny. It's heartbreaking to watch him decline mentally & physically, so if you find a bit of humor, you cling to it. My dad has always been the straight laced guy. Think--always wearing khakis & shirts with collars. He always listened to Elvis, Eddy Arnold, Tennessee Ernie Ford,etc., but lately I've heard him singing Grateful Dead songs.
- •How did he learn the songs?My dad watched about 10 minutes of the live broadcast, but he knows most of the songs. He can't remember what he had for breakfast, where his teeth are, if he's wearing underwear, but yet he knows songs he never listened to in his younger days?
- •Should I buy him a tie dye shirt for Christmas?The man has NEVER put tie dye anything on his body, but I'm contemplating getting him something tie dye for Christmas.
- •Do you have any suggestions what I should get him?
- •What is Dad's "go to song?"It's usually "Truckin!"
- •How did you infiltrate my dad's mind?I know well of the healing and uplifting power of music. Before my mom passed away last year from cancer, she took 5 weeks of chemo and radiation, and I spent 6 months with her in the hospital. Not a day went by that we didn't listen to "Gravity!" It was her fight song but also soothed and calmed her like nothing else. It also was the only thing that would wake her when she was in ICU. Thank you for that! Words can never say how much that means to me.
- •Some people might not think these things funny or amusing, but when you live with this disease every day, you look for the light or bright spots when you can.
- •Oh, yeah. One more thing. How did my dad that wears an extra large squeeze himself into my extra small John Mayer tshirt?He said he thought it was his, but I'm not sure I believe him. I would have hurt him, but I had a weak moment. It was my birthday after all, and I didn't want to kill my dad on my birthday. I am still mad, though. That was my favorite shirt, and it's now stretched to Kingdom Come!