My Two Cents on the Conversation Everyone's Been Having
I've been sitting quietly in shock and awe for the past few days trying to gather my thoughts and regain my bearings.
- •"Trump's America" is something I cannot accept.
- •I understand the call for respect and acceptance towards our new president-elect during the transfer of power but I refuse. There is nothing about this man I can respect.
- •To those turning a blind eye to the effects of Trump's election: this is why we are not progressing as effectively as we could be. Racism, sexism, xenophobia, rape culture, and the many, many other terrible "isms" still exist.
- •Yes, we have made strides. Yes, we have more equality than generations past. However, that does not, in anyway, disqualify the vast distance we still need to cover.
- •You cannot deny the hateful backlash done in the name of our future leader.
- •You cannot deny the cries and uproar across America, the desperate pleas to keep this man and his political team out of power.
- •You cannot deny the real and absolute fear felt across the world.
- •And I cannot deny this man has won the 2016 presidential election, but I will refuse to be silenced or afraid.
- •I will speak up.
- •I will become more involved, more aware.
- •I will not lose hope that we can make America truly great, for everyone.
- •I am more grateful than ever to be a part of this tight-knit community where hope and love and support is abundantly shared.