Scary Infectious Diseases, Ranked
Roz Chast drew a cartoon of herself as a child reading "The Big Book of Deadly Diseases." Also me. An honorable mention goes to MERS.
- •SchistosomiasisScary and involves water. Also the name is very sibilant and threatening.
- •CholeraPerennial, disgusting, and too short of a time span for help to arrive.
- •LeprosyArmadillos are the zoonoses and animal models for this. Have you ever seen a picture of an armadillo? They are creepy when healthy. Also, the thought of losing sensitivity so you do the real damage to yourself is too sad.
- •Rocky Mountain Spotted FeverThe scarier, quicker older brother to Lyme disease. No benefits are held for awareness of this motherfucker.
- •Lassa fever80% of the time, it has no symptoms. 20% of the time, you get ALL the symptoms.
- •Hepatitis AAll the fun of jaundice with a dose of fecal transmission through contaminated food. Hey now, you're an all-star.
- •MalariaIt's the O.G., the thing that goes flu-like symptoms in the night. The last known person to get smallpox was a 27 year old named Ali. He survived, then died of malaria a few years later.