Fun Facts: Venus
Check out more information about our closest neighbor: http://www.startalkradio.net/show/cosmic-queries-venus-with-dr-funkyspoon/
- •The Russians got there first.On March 1, 1966. The Soviet probe, Venera 3, crash-landed on Venus - it was the first spacecraft to ever reach the surface of another planet.
- •The air is 900°Good news: you could cook a 16" pepperoni pizza in 9 seconds. Bad news: you'd be vaporized.
- •Its year is shorter than its dayIt completes one rotation (1 day) everyone 243 Earth days and orbits the sun every 224.65 Earth days. Therefore, a Venus day is nearly 20 Earth days longer than its year.
- •It rotates a different direction than EarthWe're anti-clockwise, whereas Venus is clockwise (also called retrograde rotation.)
- •The clouds on Venus rain sulfuric aid, which evaporates before it ever reaches the ground.So if you find yourself on Venus, no need to pack an umbrella.