Weird Facts About Space
- 1.One million Earths can fit inside the Sun.
- 2.The word astronaut comes from the Greek word “Astron” which means star and “nautes” which means sailor. The Russian cosmonaut has a similar meaning from ‘kosmos’ meaning universe and again “nautes” sailor.
- 3.The furthest manmade object is Voyager 1. It has messages for aliens on-board.
- 4.All of space is completely silent.
- 5.If two pieces of the same type of metal touch in space, they will bond and be permanently stuck together.
- 6.If you fell into a black hole, you would stretch like spaghetti.
- 7.A tablespoon of a neutron star would weigh about ten billion tons.
- 8.Halley predicted that a comet he had discovered would return in 1758, 16 years after his death, and it really did. It was the first time a comet’s arrival had been predicted, and the comet was named after him as Halley’s Comet.
- 9.The most distant galaxies (quasars) have red shifts so big that they must be moving away from us at speeds approaching the speed of light.