You're Supposed to Help Me
A Poem on Counseling Anxiety
- •And you do.
- •And that's what frightens me, what makes my heart flinch in the hours before bedtime.
- •Lord, help me- I'm dreadfully invulnerable.
- •Thoughts of sitting in a generic white room while you look at me fleeing from your questions
- •That's what wakes me hours before my alarm.
- •My friends tease that I crush on you.
- •And I do- your thick beard, vacant earring hole, and surprisingly preppy fashion.
- •But I don't crush on the way you don't let me get away with "I don't know."
- •I have early-morning half-dreams of oversleeping our meeting.If only...
- •Every Friday at 11:01 a.m. I appreciate the time we spent together,
- •But next Friday at 9:59 a.m. I'll fear you once again.