HOW TO STARE AT PEOPLE
Tips for everyone's favorite public transit game
- 1.If you're a man, stick with the same sexThe unwanted male gaze is aggressive and alarming for women. You don't want this vibe anyways. Stick with dudes.
- 2.Practice nonjudgmentThough it can be fun to imagine people as side characters in your own life (fuck, marry, kill), often those thoughts come through on your face. No need to spread around negativity like that. Don't make up pity stories for anyone either. Project nothing. Make it meditative.
- 3.Wear a loose, kind-eyed, slightly unfocused lookAgain, nonjudgmental and meditative. I'm looking at you because you have a face and that's interesting and also insane.
- 4.Have a backup moveSometimes if I get caught, I give a big, goofy smile. Works for me, but I am also a young-looking woman and pose little threat. Maybe do a hard blink like you're really tired, rub your eyes a bit. It's okay if it's an obvious move bc it's meant to be understood as a little bit of an apology.
- 5.Try holding a gazeDid you read that NYT article about generating intimacy through extended eye contact? If someone looks at you while you're looking at them, try keeping your eyes locked for a few moments. Freaky and cool.