5 Perfect Albums
Suggested by the List App elves, this seemed like a good starting list. I can be shy.
- •David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.His breakout story-telling concept album realized after years of experimentation. Bowie has been my favorite since I was 15. Play it loud.
- •Jeff Buckley's Grace.I saw Buckley in concert at The Green Mill in Chicago a couple years before he died, and wanted to follow him out of the club to the ends of the earth. The album is as mesmerizing as his performance. Listen with headphones.
- •Carole King's Tapestry.It just is. I am a child of the 70s. Ideal on vinyl.
- •The Book of Mormon Original Broadway Soundtrack.NPR offered a free download of this album at one point, so I listened before I saw the show. Which is beyond brilliant. After I saw it, I played the soundtrack obsessively. Now, anytime I need a serious pick-me-up I put this on, and it always helps. Or just the song "I Believe" if time is short. Great for a road trip.
- •Flight of the Conchords, self-titled.Also a guaranteed mood-lifter. A perfect blend of true talent and so silly. Excellent tunes for a workout or walking.