COPING WITH STRESS
It has been a bad month. Our landlord just raised our rent, my boyfriend's disability got cut to less than 1/2, I'm at a new company so raises and bonuses are not likely, my daughter won't potty train, and I have to spend Christmas with my BF's family (which is a 7 hour drive, cramped housing and $ I don't have to spend). How do you cope w/stress?
- •EatingI am a stress eater and it shows how stressful my life has been for the last 3 years. When I am stressed I eat constantly, usually sweets. This is immediately followed by shame and disgust 😔 it works about 90% of the time, but usually brings me back down when I realize all the calories I ate.
- •Retail TherapyI should have some sort of device on my car that doesn't allow me to go to Target when I am stressed. I can find 100 thing I "need" that I really don't need. This is almost immediately followed by severe buyers remorse. 75% effective in the moment. 100% effective if I actually buy myself something and it happens to be an outfit that makes me look good.
- •Positive ThinkingI try affirmations, try keeping a positive mindset and try to convince myself that everything will be okay for me. I try. It's hard. I don't want to be one of those people that spews some self help crap over and over again at people. I hate those people. 50/50 shot on this working.
- •CryingI cry. I am a crier. I cry in traffic after a long day when I'm sitting for 2 hours on the 405 wondering why I am doing this twice a day, 5 times a week, 52 weeks a year. Crying often makes me feel at least 50% better.
- •Talking to my MomThis also works 50% of the time, it really just depends on how supportive she feels that day.
- •Watching TVSometimes I like to just zone out and watch something to keep me distracted. This works at least 90% of the time.