Beethoven Symphonies, Ranked
- 1.No.7It is so rare that I love second movements the most but the woodwinds in the second movement here are my favorite (also violins but I'm biased). I think I love 7 the most because it has some of the lightness of 6 without losing the emotional intensity of 5 and 9.
- 2.No. 9Ode to Joy! Beethoven was deaf when he composed this and it is STILL perfect and even tho I have heard and played it a million times I still feel my soul swell up into my throat whenever I listen to it. Also think about a totally deaf Beethoven conducting its premiere, a few beats off & unable to hear his own masterpiece, and try NOT TO CRY.
- 3.No. 5Iconic for a reason. I used to listen to this when I pulled all-nighters to write papers bc the whole symphony feels like an increasing struggle that builds until it ends in the triumph of the last movement (I was optimistic). Also super fun to play.
- 4.No. 6This was in Fantasia with all the Greek mythology imagery. Fantasia was my favorite Disney movie as a child, which my mother thinks indicates inherent musical talent, but she forgets that I didn't speak English until I went to school.
- 5.No. 3The "Eroica" Symphony which I confused with "erotica" and felt super embarrassed about as a v sheltered v innocent preteen.
- 6.No. 1We all have to start somewhere ??
- 7.No. 8Feel about 8 the way I feel about people who dress their dogs - like I should have an opinion but I do not.
- 8.No. 2 & No. 4Tied for last. I have never played these, probably because no one wants to hear them and they are the least good.