Lessons I Learned Training at the Best Fight School in the World
I've spent a year training at Jackson-Wink Academy, home of the champions. @bjnovak
- •Athletes only have time to eat, train, rest, and poop.Emphasis on the eating and pooping.
- •It's all about genetics.Some of the hardest workers in the gym can't find success in this business, and that's just the way it is.
- •Celebrities respect you more if you ignore them.As soon as I started playing hard to get they went out of their way to say hello to me.
- •Body shots hurt more than getting duffed in the head.This is because there aren't any nerve endings in the brain, so take your pick.
- •Sparring is an umbrella term.It's supposed to mean controlled practice with teammates, but make no mistake about it, this is a club that doesn't exist. If you catch my drift.
- •Wear headgear.I didn't, but I should of.
- •You have to hit your angles in the stand-up game.If you just come straight in and exchange you are going to get lit up. View your opponent as a person with a gun. Escape the line of fire, then strike.
- •Getting kicked in the throat feels exactly the way it sounds.
- •Look up to yourself.
- •Fuck Fear.Hell yeah you are going to be afraid. There were a few times where I was like "What am I doing here?", but from my experience you're going to get hurt more in the real world than you ever will in the cage. Fuck fear, and you'll find strength you never knew you had.