5 MINUTES IN FIRST GRADE
Pretext: I have no voice, because of a cold. We were finishing up lunch that we eat in the classroom. I was standing near the trash can. My birthday is coming up. Lastly, everything is said with great excitement.
- •" Ok boys and girls 5 minutes left to finish lunch." - me in a raspy voice
- •A girl yells out, "Ms. Stuckey! Is your breath any better?"
- •She meant throat. Well, that's what I hope.
- •A boy mishears breath..." Birthday! Whose birthday is it???"
- •A girl hears birthday, " It's Ms. Stuckey's birthday!!!!"
- •A boy feels neglected, " But my birthday is Saturday!"
- •A boy hears Ms. Stuckey's birthday "Ahhhh happy birthday!"
- •That boy runs and hugs me to a point I almost fall
- •When the boy turns around he runs into another boy who is throwing away his lunch.
- •Then barbecue chicken was catapulted from the tray.
- •It landed on my shirt.
- •5 minutes later.....
- •Boy raises hand, " do we get cupcakes today?"
- •I guess he didn't hear my raspy voice say it was no one's birthday