I Hate The Phone Book (Part 1)
In our age of ever-present internet, there are still phonebook users. Unfortunately, every call I get from someone using a phonebook is a request for something I do not have.
- •"This is Adeline Smith. I would like a call back. It is in regards to a pair of shoes."Okay, straightforward but fine. Most of my voicemails from customers are in regards to a pair of shoes, as they have contacted a shoe store.
- •I check the customer database before I call her back. There is no one with that name.That doesn't mean she hasn't purchased from us. Some sales, particularly with travelers or noticeably impatient people, don't get assigned to a customer file.
- •I call her back and use my nicest sales voice, because I can tell that she is going to be an odd duck.You just know.
- •"Yes. I ended up buying the shoes as a gift for my daughter and they are not what I wanted and I want to see what else you can do."Old people doing a return. Always fun.
- •"Ma'am, could we please back up? In your message you said that you were calling regarding a pair of shoes and that was all the information you left. Could you elaborate so I know how to help you?"She's just calling any shoe store in the book.
- •"They are the wood bottom shoes with the buckle and I bought them as a gift and they don't work."
- •"Ma'am, that doesn't sound like a shoe that we carry here at my store."
- •"They are the Dr. Scholl's wooden ones."
- •"Ma'am, that is not a brand that we sell here."
- •"Well, that ends the conversation. Goodbye."CLICK.