Things That Taste Like My Childhood
Snagged from @blanelly
- •Broiled grapefruit with brown sugarSometimes we'd use leftover green or red granulated decorating sugars which was very fun and festive.
- •Buttered noodlesComfort food.
- •Cheerios with honey and sliced banana 🍌
- •American Chinese FoodAlways a go-to for dinners out. Sing's Restaurant had an amazing full-wall water fountain with fish and statues of Buddhas and creatures. They also had a cigarette machine in the lobby.
- •Deli turkey & provolone & dill pickle roll-upsMy dad was the deli meats guy. He grew up Jewish in NYC. I'm sure the supermarket delis in Maine were extremely disappointing.
- •Entemann's danishRaspberry and cream cheese. For Christmas morning.
- •Green beans almondineSauteed green beans with sliced almonds. A common dinner side.
- •Honey mustard carrotsSteamed carrots with butter, honey, and mustard. The best.
- •Jam & JellyMy mother loves jam and jelly. She made her own: strawberry, grape, crabapple, peach, raspberry, blueberry. We always had an abundance of tasty homemade spreads to choose from.
- •Reese's PiecesBecause of E.T.
- •Soup & "Dunkers" (toasted bagel with butter and garlic powder)Any soup is better with dunkers.
- •Spaghetti with shredded mozzarellaThis was a favorite after-school snack for me. I'd make it after getting off the bus (3:40) and just as syndicated episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation or Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman started at 4:00.