What I Miss From My Previous Job Driving a Desk
- •I've been self-employed for five years now. I'll celebrate the 5th anniversary of my business on September 6.I love it overall, but damn, it's easy to take for granted all the great perks that come with working for someone else while you're working there. Now that I pay for all these things myself (or just don't do them at all), I really understand what a sweet deal I had.
- •Paid VacationEntire weeks of it, just ripe for the plucking. One summer I decided I'd make every weekend a 3-day weekend and take Friday off. It was glorious. Want to take the entire time between Christmas & New Year's off, because your job just isn't that important? Go for it! Now I get paid the same (very conservative) amount every week no matter what. Unless I'm really screwed, and I don't pay myself at all.
- •Paid Sick TimeCame in real handy when I had a family medical emergency 3000 miles away.
- •Health Insurance & WellnessI paid about $100/month out-of-pocket for my share of excellent health insurance (inc. vision & dental). Now I pay $311/month (with an impending 26% raise for 2017) for significantly less coverage (and no vision or dental). Also: free counseling through the employee assistance program (helpful in dealing with the aforementioned family medical emergency). Also: cheap-ass membership to a brand-new fitness center, complete with pool and sauna, group classes and $45 massages.
- •Super Duper 401K MatchThe match was crazy generous. I contributed 4%, they "matched" it with 10%. I've since cashed out the entire thing to put into my business, but hey, free money.
- •Professional Development & TravelI traveled to D.C., NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and assorted New England locations for work meetings/conferences or just for any well-argued instance of professional development. Now if I go to a trade show, I not only pay for everything, but I have to pay for someone to work for me while I'm gone.
- •More 5th Anniversary Lists!I'll be doing a series of them, because 5 years in business is really significant to me and I'm going to toot my horn 🎷 a bit.
- •Requests?I'd consider any related list requests you might come up with!