Common Tropes In Love Songs That Make Me Feel Less Alone
If this many people feel this way I guess it's not crazy to feel this way.
- •I wanna be your [animal / inanimate object / person I am not]I Wanna Be Your Dog - Iggy Pop, I Wanna Be Yours - John Cooper Clarke, If I Was Your Girlfriend - Prince, I Think You're All Right - Jay Som, I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Sleater-Kinney
- •I missed you before I met youI Miss You - Björk, Slow Show - The National, Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen, Do You Want To Be Buried With My People? - Scout Niblett which actually covers almost all these tropes but I'll leave it here
- •BABY 😍Baby - Donnie & Joe Emerson, Baby Blue - King Krule, Baby Baby - The Vibrators, Baby - Hannah Cohen, Dream Baby Dream - Suicide, Be My Baby - The Ronettes, Don't Worry Baby - Beach Boys, Baby It's You - The Shirelles, Baby I'm Yours - Barbara Lewis
- •Let me do literally anything for you, and maybe make it degrading ;)By Your Side - Cocorosie, I'm Your Man - Leonard Cohen, I'll Come Running - Brian Eno, Slave - David Garza, Take Me - Karen Dalton, Tied Up - Casey Veggies, Anything You Wanna Do - The Marvelettes, You Can Have It All - Yo La Tengo
- •I am completely consumed by thoughts of you in my every waking secondAll I Think About Is You - Harry Nilsson, Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue, Strange Powers - The Magnetic Fields, Under Your Spell - Desire, Sittin' Up In My Room - Brandy
- •We're not together but I want the best for you because I will always love youWildflowers - Tom Petty, I'll Be Your Bird - M. Ward, Good Woman - Cat Power, Pale Blue Eyes - Velvet Underground
- •I am terrible and/or life is terrible, but you are perfect and you are either keeping me alive or killing me, maybe bothAngel In The Snow - Elliott Smith, Creep - Radiohead, I Go To The Barn... - Band of Horses, Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms, Someday - The Growlers, Here Comes My Girl - Tom Petty, I Found A Reason - Velvet Underground, Unforgiving Girl (She's Not An) - Car Seat Headrest
- •We're not together yet, but we will be someday and it'll be great when we areOur Day Will Come - Ruby & The Romantics, Someday We'll Be Together - The Supremes, The Whole Of The Law - The Only Ones, I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever) - Stevie Wonder, One Fine Day - The Chiffons
- •I pretty much knew the moment I saw youCrimson and Clover - Tommy James and the Shondells, Delirious - Vistoso Bosses, Just One Look - Doris Troy, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack, I've Just Seen A Face - The Beatles
- •Realistically, we may not last forever but don't let that change the fact that right now I love you a lotYou're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Bob Dylan, Love You Now - Vashti Bunyan, Be Mine - Alice Boman, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (here the may not last forever sentiment is about death, which, fair and somehow romantic)
- •After all this time, you remain in the back of mind...Back Of My Mind - The Problems of Tyme, Gentle On My Mind - Glen Campbell, I Think Of You - Rodriguez, La Cienega Just Smiled - Ryan Adams
- •Everyone is boring except you and me. Adjacently, maybe we should just run away and make a new world that's just made of our love?Let's Not Belong Together - Paul Westerberg, Buddy Holly - Weezer, Down Together - The Refreshments, Chateau Lobby #4 - Father John Misty, Islands In The Stream - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, Ooo - Karen O, Run Away With Me - CRJ, The Book Of Love - The Magnetic Fields, If I Could Build My Whole World Around You - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- •Looking back, I fucked up a lot but I always loved you ok?A Song For You - Leon Russell, Always On My Mind - Willie Nelson, Marie - Randy Newman, First Day Of My Life - Bright Eyes, San Diego Serenade - Tom Waits, also there's Love On Top and a few other Beyonce songs that are like "YOU fucked up a lot but I still love you anyway ok?"
- •Fucking finallyAt Last - Etta James, This Must Be The Place - Talking Heads, For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder