Things that are actually worth spending money on...
I have extremely cheap taste in most of my clothes, jewelry, restaurants, haircuts, and generally in life — but these are the things that I think are worth splurging on when you can.
- •LingerieA lot of people spend tons of money on their public facing clothes and no money on the stuff they wear privately or with a partner, but I prefer the other way around. Buying handmade, luxurious underthings that make you feel beautiful is the ultimate "treat yourself." Be the princess you want to see in the world.
- •TherapyMy therapist doesn't take insurance and that shit is EXPENSIVE but it's honestly so worth it. I may feel like I don't need to go at some point in the future, but I don't regret a single dollar I've spent on her that helped me figure things out and actually make decisions for myself.
- •Drawing suppliesMy Micron and Prismacolor markers and pens make drawing fun and do as much for my art as any creative inspiration.
- •A very occasional nice hotelLook, this isn't realistically something I could spend on the regular and I love seeing all kinds of residencies through Airbnb, but if you really need to relax and reset a nice hotel room is still the best option in the world. Those beds! One year I didn't have plans for NYE so I just rented a fancy hotel room in the Financial District and stayed in the bath for an hour. 😍
- •WaxingLook, it's true that you can duck behind a curtain in Chinatown and get yr hooha waxed for $10, and it's not going to KILL you. But the experience is traumatic enough without being accidentally exposed to strangers and squinting at a fluorescent light. A good waxer makes the experience strangely... pleasurable? Mine uses pastel purple wax and smells good and gives me great advice about relationships.
- •Kitchen appliancesThe difference between a standard blender and a VitaMix is like the difference between a skateboard and a Bugatti.