Quotes that speak to the Speech-Language Pathologist
Quotes that inspire and empower me, make me think, and help me gain more insight and perspective as a young SLP.
- •"If all my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest."- Daniel Webster
- •"Words are such small things, like confetti in the brain, and yet they color and clarify everything, they can stain the mind or warp the feelings."- Diane Ackerman in her memoir, "100 Names for Love"
- •"The identity badge pinned to Sandrine's white tunic says, 'Speech Therapist,' but it should read 'Guardian Angel.'"- Jean-Dominique Bauby (stroke survivor, author) in his memoir, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (written using an eye gaze system)
- •"I really need people to take responsibility for the kind of energy they bring to me."- Jill Bolt Taylor (stroke survivor, neuro anatomist, author) in her memoir, "My Stroke of Insight"
- •"It may strike impersonally, but how strangely personal aphasia is."- Diane Ackerman in her memoir, "100 Names for Love"
- •Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not taking. It does not have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future... All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.- Stephen Hawking