SOME FAVORITE LINES FROM SELECTED VOLUMES OF POETRY CURRENTLY ON MY SHELF
Words that are beautiful; words that hurt. AKA having angst about having to drop my lit double major.
- •"Let's admit, without apology, what we do to each other." —Richard Siken, "Detail of the Fire" from War of the Foxes (2008)Ouch. Crush, his first volume was so tense and frantic and it was this like stream of consciousness of blunted- punches to the gut. Here, Siken has doesn't lose his savagery he just substitutes fists for the point of a knife. Still trying to properly articulate my thoughts on the differences between Crush and Foxes though.
- •"A man takes his sadness and throws it away/ but then is he's still left with his hands" —Richard Siken, "Boot Theory" from Crush (2005)Also ouch. See what I mean?! Blunt, thick with desolation.
- •"What would the dark/ Do without fevers to eat?/ What would the light/ Do without eyes to knife, what would he/Do, do, do without me" — Sylvia Plath, "The Jailor" from ArielI don't even have the vocabulary to talk about this. Gives me shivers ❄️
- •"Above the dead pines pared/ Down by a storm stood, limbs bared.../ I want you." —Louise Gluck, "Early December in Croton-on- Hudson from Firstborn (1968)The constant juxtaposition of deadness and desire and desolation and also I am a sucker for trees (esp pines). 🌲
- •"We saw to the edge of all there is—/So brutal and alive it seemed to comprehend us back." — Tracy K. Smith, "My God, It's Full of Stars" from Life on Mars (2011)All my feeling about space, encapsulated. 🌌
- •"You are here to kneel/ Where prayer has been valid. And prayer is more /Than an order of words, the conscious occupation/ Of the praying mind, or the sound of the voice praying — T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding" from the Four Quartets (1943)Wrote a research paper on Murder in the Cathedral last semester which is a really arduous and hard to write about piece ( am not Catholic had to read though papers going into the minutiae of mass so confusing!!). I did it all because I REALLY wanted to integrate this specific quote. Not one of my better life choices. 😬