How We Can Help Syria
The following is a list of ways one can help Syria and Syrians compiled by @ramahkudaimi on Twitter. It ranges from simple awareness measures to donations to actual actions people can take. These efforts may not free Syria tomorrow but they will start helping.
- •Support humanitarian effortsYou can donate, volunteer your team, expertise, etc to support on the ground non-profits The need is large. Some that you can support: Karam Foundation, NuDay Syria, Syrian American Medical Society, Syrian Civil Defence, UNRWA
- •Support Syrian groups reporting on war crimesSome examples: Violations Documentation Center, Syrian Network for Human Rights
- •Sign the Need for Accountability and Justice from Manbij to Ghouta to Aleppo statement
- •If your country is involved in airstrikes against Syria, call on your leaders to stop
- •Arrange film screenings in your local community to educate people about the revolution and subsequent crisesSome examples: RETURN TO HOMS, BORDER, THE SUFFERING GRASSES, WE CAN GO THERE NOW MY DEAR, THE JOURNEY FROM SYRIA, OUR TERRIBLE COUNTRY, STREETS OF FREEDOM, SYRIA: SNAPSHOTS OF HISTORY IN THE MAKING
- •Read BURNING COUNTRYEither by yourself or in a reading group
- •Follow informed, principled people on Twitter to stay up to date on current eventsFor a list: https://twitter.com/ramahkudaimi/lists/syria
- •Do you work on prisoners, abolition, torture?Make the link with Syrian prisoners and highlight the plight of Syrian prisoners
- •Push local media to run stories that actually feature Syrians
- •Challenge problematic coverage on Syria
- •Invite and host Syrians to speak at your events about Syria
- •Commemorate significant massacres and hold space for Syrians to mournHoula: May 25; Baniyas: May 3; August 25; Ghouta: August 21 (to list a few)
- •Are you a Palestine organizer?Make the link to right of return with Palestinian refugees in Syria
- •Advocate strongly for refugees protection
- •Advocate strongly against the creation of new refugeesThis means holding Russia and Iran accountable in your discourse and narrative as well.
- •Work with Syrian solidarity groups to help push for accountabilityAnd if you come from an experienced background, help them to develop these plans. After all, isn't that what true solidarity is?
- •Support independent Syrian journalistsIndependent Syrian journalists are under attack from all sides. Support them by amplifying their voices, stories, efforts. Find ways to support them fiscally. Donate to organizations that support persecuted journalists.
- •Are you a fluent Arabic and English speaker? Volunteer with the International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP)You can conduct interviews with Syrian and Iraqi asylees seeking legal assistance to come to the US via Skype.