How to Become a More Cultured, Giving Citizen of the World
I dedicate this to my young friend, Paulina as she heads to her first year of college and begins to make her mark on the world. Love you, Paulina!
- •Read the newspaper
- •Read a Classic Novel such as Doctor Zhivago and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
- •Listen to Bach and Schubert
- •Explore another country
- •Attend the symphony or see a ballet
- •Join a book club
- •Take up a musical instrument such as piano, saxophone or recorder
- •Study geography
- •Learn a foreign language
- •Go to an art museum
- •See an independent film
- •Attend a town hall meeting and engage in civil discourse
- •Become a member of your local zoo, aquarium, planetarium, or natural history museum
- •Participate in the joy of giving and giving back
- •Every day find new activities, objects or people to help you become a more enlightened, articulate, thoughtful impassioned soul. One who cares about the world and achieves great things.
- •And finally, dance to your own tune and live life fully!