NOTES FROM MY PHONE AS A YOUNG WOMAN WORKING IN NEW YAWK MEDIA/ENTERTAINMENT
- •RuPaul/George Saunders/mortalityVERY EMO BUT THE TRUEST THING I KNOW? In high school I listened to Longform's interview with George Saunders where he said he was glad he became successful once he was older and already had a family n shit because "when you're young you already think you're the center of the universe and success seems to confirm it" and I was like "uh oh"
- •Tracey EminThe opposite of George Saunders but I can also talk at length about giving yourself permission to be narcissistic in order to make art especially if you are female! This is from a handwritten note from her book, My Photo Album; I think she was 16 or 17.
- •The fragility of the male ego esp. in media/entertainment/fart noise
- •Still on my high horse but SUPPRESSIVE PERSONS ARE REAL"Lost boy" analogy credit @Durga
- •When needing the reader to understand your brain gets in the way of honest output
- •From a convo with Amandla Stenbergabout navigating all this as a Young person
- •Text from @lesleyarfin after I sent her a sad selfie from Griffith Park because cliched empty LA feelings
- •I get to make + share things! That's so so amazing!