Japan's Best Bites
I'm a 6'1" white boy who happened to find himself living in Tokyo for a couple years...I abandoned vegetarianism pretty quickly and dove in pretty deep...
- •OkonomiyakiI often hear this dish described as a Japanese latke... and while I'm not really sure how you can "Japanify" a latke or make Japanese food Jewish, I can't lie.. The description works for some reason.
- •Convenience Store Egg SandwichesGet over your preconceptions of American 7/11s, Japanese convenience stores ("conbinis") bring the goodies! A consistent highlight - the fluffy, pillowy egg sandwich
- •TakoyakiUgh.. I love the way those bonito flakes dance and squirm on top of these delicious octopus balls. I'd call these the chicken nuggets of Japan
- •Kit KatsYour standard chocolate kit kats don't cut it in Japan - welcome to the magical world of Green Tea, Rum Raisin, Red Bean, Cherry Blossom, Strawberry, and Wasabi Kit kats (キトカツ)
- •TsukemonoVegetables just taste better when pickled and cut up into cute, artful shapes. Don't overlook the 漬物
- •TaiyakiFish-shaped, red bean filled doughy pastries. Why fish shaped - I have no fucking clue, but damn are they delicious.
- •Shoku Pan (Japanese Dinner Bread)Ask @Nicholas, nothing beats the perfectly squared, milky goodness that is Japanese supermarket bread loaves. Take your classic grilled cheese to the next level in between two slices of god's greatest gift
- •Yuzu RamenOur NY Ramen just does not cut it when you add that splash of citrus, slurp, repeat..
- •Octopus on a Stick (Quail Egg Baked In)So much better than attractive, tall ladies serving up lemonade and hot dogs on a stick - Octopus lollipops with a hard boiled wonderland in the middle :)
- •Supermarket sushi obentoBetter sushi than most US restaurants. Cheap. FastSuggested by @markravina
- •Sweet potato flavored soft serve ice creamDelicious and counts as a vegetable, right?Suggested by @mlh
- •ChankonabeFavorite food of sumo wrestlers, used to fatten them up. Also works for pregnant ladies.Suggested by @jcrusius